Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Your folly affects my Folly...

Today's theme: Responsible Citizenship.

While browsing Charleston.net to get my daily fix of the Newsless Courier, I stumbled upon a commentary regarding the utter disastrous state in which folks left Folly Beach after the July 4th festivities. (Source: http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2009/jul/08/litterers_have_done_this_time88468/)

I echo the sentiments of the commentary's author, especially the part that lays blame where it belongs--with the irresponsible, local citizenry...not the out-of-towners. Sure, there were no doubt some people "from off" who contributed to the mess, but it's the unwritten duty of a proud local and responsible citizen to call out these individuals when they forget they're in Rome. But, having lived in Charleston my entire life--and having lived part of that time on Folly--I can comfortably say the blame lies with those who call Charleston home. My question, however, is who the hell are these people? More importantly, how arduous a task is it to clean up after yourself on a public beach when you know that littering is environmentally irresponsible and morally reprehensible? You are not an inherently bad person if you litter. You are, however, an irresponsible citizen who seems to have forgotten how to "act right" as a member of your community.

What is most upsetting to me about this whole situation is the fact that so many people used our nation's birthday as an excuse to trash a perfectly beautiful piece of it. Ironic? Perhaps. Ignorant? Definitely.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I echo this sentiment for Morris Island. http://www.charlestonfishing.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=84750

    ReplyDelete